Friday, August 21, 2015

Medallion or Battlefurry Phantom Assassin?

A while ago, the Foreseer's Contract and the Nemesis Event showcased the Phantom Assassin Arcana and added the Oracle to the hero pool. Oracle doesn't see much pub play, but PA still gets picked a lot. While the event was going on, I played a lot of PA. Being the engineer that I am, I analyzed everything to death, read every guide I could get my hands on, and watch replays of highly skilled players showcasing the power of this hero.

During that phase, I ran into this gem on how to play PA. The gist of the guide is that Medallion is the first item you want to buy after Treads/Phase so that you can farm and fight earlier. Beyond that, he offers advice and item builds for different lane positions and farming priorities. Since this guide was posted, desolator has gotten even cheaper and Vlads got a buff so this guide is even more relevant. If you aren't a position 1 hero, Deso is the orb you want and Vlads will give you the lifesteal you desire. The guide was also published before the changes were made in 6.84 about kills granting more gold. More gold from kills rewards players for finding kills early instead of passively farming a lane.

The above guide is a more unconventional take on how to play PA and I can attest to its merits if you can coordinate with your team. If you're looking for something that's a little more conventional or you'd rather watch a video, Relax You're Doing Fine has a great video for that. This is the more conventional Battlefurry + HoD to stack ancients and farm to get ahead with these items. Unless you can get the Battlefurry consistently by 18 minutes, I would recommend trying the Medallion build.

When you try the Medallion build, send me a match ID and let me know how it worked out for you. I am interested to hear about other people's experience building the hero this way. If you want to check out one of my matches, just plug in the match ID 1732300064. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment